Thursday, September 17, 2009

What does it take not to be a slut!?

I am a Malcom Gladwell fan! Of course, his books are good enough to be read only once. [That is why I buy Malcom Gladwell only in paperback and not hardcover.] But he has somehow mastered the magic of keeping people wonderstruck that first and the only time they read each of his books. What I like about him is the intriguing  concepts he comes up with every time he writes a book. The “10,000 Hour Rule” is one such. In his book, Outliers, “Gladwell repeatedly mentions the "10,000-Hour Rule", claiming that the key to success in any field is, to a large extent, a matter of practising a specific task for a total of around 10,000 hours.”

Now you know why girls know and understand love and relationships better than boys do. They think about it all the time. Everything they do in life is sharply focused on love and relationships. They get to reflect on it more than 10,000 hours. The same way Beatles played better because they performed in some bar for more than 10,000 hours; the same way Bill Gates made a lot of money because he got a chance to use a computer anytime he wanted to when he was a student and he used it for more than 10,000 hours, girls become mistresses [masters] in matters related to love and relationship because they play with those ideas in mind for more than 10,000 hours. As  Anita Maria Taylor, the author of Don’t be A Slut puts it, most 20-something girls are in love with the idea of love and relationships like she was in her 20s and that probably is the reason why, I think, they become experts in love and relationships. May be that is the reason why most of the ‘pink’ feminine blogs we have around here are about relationships and love.
Some of them get it right. But most of them go a few extra miles and in an attempt to get things right, get most of the things wrong like Anita says she did. Yes! ‘Don’t be A Slut’ is a blog about, as the author puts it:
When I was in my twenties, I slept with way too many men, for all the wrong reasons, and it really didn't feel all that good. (Ok, sometimes it felt good physically. Sometimes.) That's why I started this blog, Don't Be a Slut. It's everything I wish I had known in my twenties about sex and relationships and what not to do.
What I liked about ‘Don’t be a Slut’ is, it does not moralize and is not prudish. It is about how being with wrong people can end you up in wrong emotional places. It is about how ‘casting couches’ do not help a wannabe actress to get the roles. It is about why not to be in love with the idea of love. It is about how you can mess up if you don’t think straight and do not have your priorities right. But it certainly is not about why you should not give life a try. It is not about I-am-telling-you-not-to-do-it-because-you-will-go-to-hell!
Anita’s use of language is gorgeous and straightforward. I never knew something that is gorgeous can also be straightforward. But ‘Don’t be a Slut’ is both. A good read, not only because it tells you how not to be a slut, but also because has an interesting way of saying it.

Off the Topic:

I thank Shilpa Garg for the Surprise Award, which made my day. Here it is:

I would like to pass this award to three bloggers I  read recently and liked reading.
Pra for her very thoughtfully written blog.
Ajinkya for his funny take on life.
Vipul for his innovative idea that brings bloggers together.